Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action

As I review the posts I've made to this blog over the past year, I realize that I've done an awful lot of talking about supporting local, independent businesses.  Sure, there's a lot of other things to "heart" in Hibbing, but this is something that I am personally passionate about and I believe deserving of a little extra TLC. 

On that note, I am taking the mantra "actions speak louder than words" to heart in this post.  Writing less in the effort to say more. 

During my recent trip to Hibbing, I decided to deliberately put The 3/50 Project into action.  Supporting indies here in Iowa or when I'm back home in Hibbing is something that comes naturally, but for the purposes of this post, I wanted to be particular.

I withdrew $50 in cash from the ATM before I hopped in my old Grand Am and made the great trek north to the Iron Range.  The money remained set aside in my wallet as I cruised through the Twin Cities, Hinckley, and Cloquet.  Those bills were dedicated to being spent in my three favorite Hibbing independent businesses: Moxie, Howard Street Booksellers, and Rhythm Deli

I am happy to report that $49.50 bought me:
  • Pair of black dress capris (on clearance)
  • Greeting card for my mother's birthday
  • Hardcover book The Walmart Effect (used)
  • Paperback book Committed to Memory: 100 Best Poems to Memorize
  • 1 Chicken Alfredo panini
  • 2 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper
  • 2 small bags of chips
It was a wonderful and delicious experience, which you can see below.  I'm planning on taking the next few blog posts to go into further detail about what makes these Hibbing businesses awesome and also to talk a little bit about the upcoming "Support Hibbing Independents" event on July 6th and 7th.
Festive window displays always make me smile. 

So many choices.  Looking for just the right book is half the fun. 

Perfect late lunch with my sister before heading out to the lake. 


In the meantime, I invite you to think about your favorite Hibbing independent businesses.  Are there three that you would miss if they disappeared?  I'd love to hear about them in the comment box, or--even better--in a guest post to this blog.

As it says on the bottom of The 3/50 Project's homepage: "Number of people it takes to start the trend . . .you!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment